Jamil N. Alibhai
Jamil N. Alibhai is a Partner at Munck Wilson Mandala, LLP, Chairman of the Firm's Litigation Section, and a member of the Firm's Executive Committee.
Mr. Alibhai has participated in all facets of intellectual property disputes and complex commercial litigation cases and appeals in state and federal courts nationwide as well as arbitrations.
Mr. Alibhai's intellectual property cases relate to patents, trademarks, trade secrets, and other intellectual property matters. Mr. Alibhai also litigates complex commercial litigation matters involving corporate and partnership disputes, securities issues, bankruptcy and adversary proceedings.
In March 2015, Jamil was lead counsel at trial and obtained a $77 million dollar plaintiff verdict - the 16th largest verdict nationwide - in a matter involving patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation - a case that led to Munck Wilson Mandala being selected for inclusion in The National Law Journal's (NLJ) America's Elite Trial Lawyers and Mr. Alibhai being honored as a NLJ 2015 Winning Litigator.
Mr. Alibhai earned his Bachelor of Arts degree in 1992 in Economics and Political Science from New York University College of Arts and Science. While in college, he represented NYU at the National, North American, and World Parliamentary Debate Championships.
Mr. Alibhai earned his law degree in 1995 from Southern Methodist University School of Law, where he was a William F. Hutchison Merit Scholar and graduated as a member of the Order of the Barristers. Mr. Alibhai also won two American Jurisprudence Awards and was twice named Best Advocate. Mr. Alibhai has also taught Trial Advocacy as an Adjunct Professor at Southern Methodist University School of Law.
- Representing defendants in actions brought by NPEs in the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas.
- Representing an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers.
- Representing Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. in a patent infringement and trade secret action in the Eastern District of Texas.
- Represented a Fortune 500 company in inter partes re-examinations and five patent infringement actions relating to vending machines in district court and on appeal to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. The Federal Circuit reversed the preliminary injunction entered by the trial court.
- Represented the manufacturer of weapons sights in an appeal to the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals regarding trademark infringement and trade secret misappropriation.
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for Fortune 50 company in action brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the Eastern District of Texas in connection with website technology, which was affirmed by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented the City of Dallas and the Chief of Police of the Dallas Police Department in an appeal in which the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit affirmed the trial court's grant of summary judgment.
- Representing the County of Dallas in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas in a Voting Rights Act challenge brought by the Texas Democratic Party.
- Represented former officers and directors of a telecommunications company in a breach of fiduciary action brought by a bankruptcy trustee in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 3rd Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 11th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Texas
- Zealous Advocacy and the Search for Truth, 61 Texas Bar Journal 1009, 1998
- Know How To Stay, Smart Business, February, 2008
- Bilski’s Impact on In-House Counsel Varies by Client’s Technology, Texas Lawyer, August 2, 2010
Honors and Awards:
- 2015 Top-Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell®
- National Law Journal 2015 Winning Litigator
- Texas Lawyer "Litigator of the Week" March 2015
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated in Martindale-Hubbell
- Named D Magazine's Best Lawyers in Dallas, 2014
- Selected by the Dallas Business Journal as one of the Top 15 Business Defense Lawyers in the D/FW metroplex
- Leadership Dallas, Class of 2013
- Texas Super Lawyers, 2012-2016
- Texas Rising Stars, 2008 - 2011
- Patrick E. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, Associate; Barrister, 2011-2014
- Dallas Bar Foundation, 2010 Fellow
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- State Bar of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Federal Circuit Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association