Alison L. Battiste
- Commercial Litigation
- Eminent Domain and Zoning Litigation
- Intellectual Property Law and Technology
- Legal and Professional Malpractice Defense
- Trade Secrets, Restrictive Covenants and Unfair Competition
Alison Battiste is a principal attorney in the complex litigation/dispute resolution group where she concentrates her practice in the areas of commercial and high-stakes litigation. As a trial lawyer and legal adviser, Alison represents both plaintiffs and defendants and assists clients in matters related to legal and professional responsibility, intellectual property and technology. Alison also worked as an adjunct professor at the University of North Texas Law School in Dallas, where she taught a course on legal research and writing.
Prior to her legal career, Alison earned a B.S. in chemistry and an MBA from George Washington University in Washington, DC. While pursuing her graduate degree, Alison studied International Business at Fundação Getúlio Vargas in São Paulo, Brazil, which offers programs in economics, business administration, and international relations. After law school, she worked at Merrill Lynch International in London, England.
Alison is a Barrister in the Patrick H. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, with a three-year term beginning in 2018, and a member of the NEW Roundtable. She has received numerous honors for her research, teaching and community service. She has been selected as a four-time “Texas Rising Star” by Thomson Reuters from 2015-2018 and she continues to stay active within the community through various outreach initiatives, including her role as an education advocate for Dallas County Foster Youth, and her involvement as a committee member for the Annual Women’s Advocacy Awards committee. An avid supporter of the Dallas arts community, Alison also volunteers for the Dallas Arts District Foundation.
Alison received her J.D. from the Georgetown University Law Center and participated in the International Law Study summer program at University College London in the United Kingdom. She is a fellow of the Texas Bar Foundation, Dallas Bar Foundation and Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation and a member of the State Bar of Texas and the Dallas Bar Association.
- Lead associate on Motion to Dismiss that successfully dismissed our Chinese client on personal jurisdiction grounds;
- Successfully settled deceptive trade practices act claim with favorable terms to my client against an aggressive consumer products company;
- Successfully settled hotly contested case involving bill of review filed against our clients;
- Successfully settled breach of contract case against national products manufacturing client;
- Successfully settled construction client’s case with a large payoff to my client.
- Successfully dismissed case filed by aggressive Dallas attorney for failure to state a claim.
- Won a highly contested motion to compel appraisal and abatement after hearing.
- Negotiated condemnation settlement, pre-trial, resulting in more than ten times the amount originally offered by the condemning authority;
- Successfully argued to court that bad acts during a condemnation hearing by the condemning authority must be considered at a trial de novo;
- Lead associate in multiple condemnation cases defending large landowners and businesses, working with experts and defending landowners’ positions at commissioners’ hearings and at trial;
- Successfully argued highest and best use of condemned property in order to achieve the best results for clients in multiple eminent domain cases;
- Successfully defended franchisee after alleged breach of contract and warded off threatened lawsuit by franchisor prior to any court filings;
- Lead associate in suit representing manufacturing company against a provide equity firm over debt and equity issues and developed the successful theory of the case;
- Primary editor and researcher on a brief submitted to the Tenth Circuit, in which the judges, including Judge Neil Gorsuch, sides for client in OSHA case;
- Lead associate in premises liability case, defending a landlord after it entered into a buy and lease-back relationship with a fast-food lessee and catastrophic injuries occurred at one of the portfolio restaurants;
- Assisted numerous clients in avoiding litigation against them through pre-trial negotiations;
- Lead associate on team defending billions of trust assets from remote contingent beneficiaries and developed theory to protect confidential trust documents from disclosure;
- Successfully settled numerous deceptive trade practices act suits, with favorable terms for clients;
- Convinced plaintiff to nonsuit within three months after the filing of the original petition and after deposing plaintiff’s lead witness;
- Drafted and reviewed numerous corporate documents, including investor agreements, licensing agreements and corporate operating agreements;
- Drafted numerous employment agreements for clients wishing to protect themselves prior to hiring;
- Drafted successful summary judgment that got hundreds of workers’ compensation claims against textile client dismissed;
- Served on the trial team that successfully represented Halliburton in the BP Macondo oil spill case (Deepwater Horizon);
- As lead associate, obtained summary judgment for Halliburton in admiralty law case against foreign plaintiffs and successfully defended the summary judgment on appeal;
- Drafted a credit agreement on behalf of a large foreign lender who funded development projects in other countries;
- Advised a domestic manufacturer and a foreign distributor on issues of United States law.
Professional Associations & Memberships
Patrick H. Higginbotham American Inn of Court, Barrister
Dallas Bar Association
State Bar of Texas
Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers Foundation, Fellow
Dallas Bar Association, Fellow
Additional Education & Achievements
Business Council for the Arts, Leadership Arts Institute, Class of 2017-2018 in Dallas County
Education Advocate for Dallas Foster Youth
Annual Women’s Advocacy Awards, Committee Member
Dallas Women’s Lawyers Association, Member
Georgetown Club of DFW, Board Member & Treasurer, 2008-2009