Chad J. Ray
Chad Ray is an associate in the complex litigation/dispute resolution group where he concentrates his practice on defending technologies that include pharmaceuticals, medical devices, biologics, electronics, chemicals, and automotive components/ coatings.
Chad applies a unique background bridging chemistry and law to represent clients in a variety of patent litigation matters. He is a well-educated litigator and registered patent attorney with experience trying patent litigation matters in both bench and jury trials, as well as in proceedings before the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeals Board. Chad also has experience providing pro bono criminal defense representation with notable successes helping individuals charged with serious felonies, including first-degree murder and armed robbery.
Prior to his legal career, Chad earned a B.S. in Chemistry, magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa, from the University of New Mexico. He then earned a Ph.D. from Duke University for physical chemistry research, developing and applying nanotechnology methods for the study of complex biological molecule interactions. As an undergraduate and graduate chemistry student, Chad received numerous accolades and awards for his research, teaching and community service.
Chad received his J.D., graduating cum laude, from the University of Michigan Law School where he served as a Submissions Editor for the Michigan Telecommunications & Technology Law Review.
Prior to joining the firm and relocating to Dallas, Chad was an associate at Jenner & Block in Chicago. He is a Trial Bar member of the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois and maintains a license to practice law in both Illinois and Texas.
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement bench trial against generic drug manufacturer in the District of Delaware, winning findings of infringement and patent validity;
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement bench trial against branded drug manufacturer in the District of Delaware, winning a finding of non-infringement;
- Obtained recommendation for dismissal with prejudice for failure to state a claim in biologic drug patent infringement lawsuit in Delaware;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice under Rule 11 for failure to state a claim of patent infringement in an action brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the District of Delaware;
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice on section 101 grounds of a patent infringement action brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the Central District of California;
- Represented an international electronics company in patent infringement jury trial against rival manufacturer in the District of Nevada;
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement against generic drug manufacturers in the Northern District of Illinois;
- Represented an international pharmaceutical company in licensing dispute against the licensor and a separate licensee;
- Prosecuted trademark applications for non-profit education services provider in Chicago;
- Obtained dismissal of a patent infringement action for failure to join the patent owner in a lawsuit brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the Central District of California, and obtained an affirmance from the Federal Circuit on appeal of same;
- Obtained findings of invalidity from the Patent Trials and Appeals Board on petitions for inter partes review for multiple clients.
Presentations & Published Works
Biosimilars Boot Camp for the Paragraph IV Litigator; American Conference Institute’s 4th Annual Paragraph IV Disputes Master Symposium, September 2016
Recent Appellate Cases and Developments in Patent Law and Litigation; Practicing Law Institute, November 2015
Separate Powers, Singular Purpose: How Congress, the Executive, and the Courts are Revolutionizing Pharmaceutical Patent Litigation; 249th ACS National Meeting, Spring 2015
Teva Pharmaceuticals v. Sandoz: Availability Generic Glatiramer Acetate and The Impact to Patent Litigation Claim Destruction, Expert Opin. Ther. Pat., January 2014
Divide and Rule, Intellectual Property, December 2012-January 2013
Anatomy of an Innocence Case; Wayne State University, October 2009
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
American Chemical Society
Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago
Additional Education & Achievements