Hermine Valizadeh is a principal attorney in the firm’s intellectual property/technology practice. Hermine brings nearly 15 years of legal experience to the firm and her unique technical background positions her to represent clients in intellectual property matters and business litigation.
Hermine advises companies on patents, trademarks, and copyrights, and works with them on all aspects of their intellectual property portfolios. This includes branding and licensing as well as prosecution and enforcement actions. Hermine brings deep technical experience in a range of technologies, with an emphasis on electrical and computer arts (networks, operating systems, software, hardware, databases, among others) and preparing and prosecuting patent applications before the USPTO and foreign offices.
She received her J.D. from New England School of Law where she was on the dean’s list. Hermine also holds a B.S. in Electrical Engineering – with Distinction – from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.
Prior to joining MWM, Hermine was a partner in the Los Angeles office of an international IP law firm.
- Lead counsel in patent infringement lawsuits
- Represent clients in matters before the TTAB and PTAB
- Represent clients in numerous filings with USPTO and foreign IP filing offices
- Serve as general counsel to a number of large and small companies, advising on and managing intellectual property portfolios, marketing, and distribution
- Serve as general counsel to clients, handling all legal matters including analysis of intellectual property needs, formulating a plan of protection, and drafting agreements and negotiations
- Handle trademark and copyright applications – from all phases of inception of a copyright/trademark, clearing of potential copyrights and trademarks, advising on potential copyrights and trademarks, walking copyrights and trademarks through the registration process, and maintenance of copyrights and trademarks once registered
- Maintain clients’ intellectual property portfolios – including reviewing and assessment of potential infringing third party activities, send cease and desist letters and proceed with litigation as necessary
- Develop and present training sessions to corporate clients on IP best practices
Professional Associations & Memberships
Iranian American Bar Association: National Board of Directors, 2008-2010; Chicago Chapter President, 2008-2011; Los Angeles Chapter President, 2020-present
Associate Board of Chicago Committee on Minorities in Large Law Firms: Board Member, 2009-2011
Public Affairs Alliance of Iranian Americans: Chapter Leader, 2009-2013