Jamil N. Alibhai
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Inter Partes Reviews
- Noncompetition and Trade Secrets Litigation
Jamil N. Alibhai is a member of Munck Wilson Mandala’s executive committee and chairs the complex litigation/dispute resolution group.
As a college student, Jamil was a skilled debater and represented his alma mater (NYU) at the National, North American and World Parliamentary Debate Championships.
In 2015, Jamil was honored as one of National Law Journal’s winning litigators for his work on a patent infringement and trade secret misappropriation case that was tried to a jury. Jamil was lead counsel on the case that resulted in an $88 million verdict which was ranked the 16th Largest Verdict 0f 2015 by The National Law Journal and VerdictSearch. Munck Wilson was also among the firms recognized by NLJ as America’s Elite Trial Lawyers that same year.
Jamil continues to take on challenging cases that result in remarkable wins for his clients. He leads a litigation team that represents clients in intellectual property disputes, complex commercial litigation cases and appeals in state and federal courts nationwide.
- Lead trial counsel in a jury trial for Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. in a patent infringement and trade secret case in the Eastern District of Texas that resulted in an $88 million dollar verdict, ranked the 16th Largest Verdict 0f 2015 by The National Law Journal and VerdictSearch. The final judgment exceeds $78 million and is on appeal to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Lead trial counsel in a jury trial in which the jury unanimously found violations of the Texas Theft Liability Act, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud. Our client was awarded damages, exemplary damages, and attorneys’ fees in Romano Group LLC v. Wilson. The case was named among the top 100 Verdicts in Texas in 2016 as well as one of the top five fraud verdicts in Texas in 2016.
- Lead trial counsel in a jury trial where the client, a consulting firm, sought tortious interference, antitrust, trade secret misappropriation, and breach of contract damages against a pest control franchise and its franchisees in Galt Strategies, LLC vs. Critter Control, Inc. The franchisees settled prior to trial, and the jury found liability and damages for tortious interference against the franchisor and its founder. The case settled while on appeal.
- Defended four companies in a patent infringement case involving eight patents covering spectral and optical sensors used in smartphones, in which the plaintiff was seeking over $140 million in alleged damages.
- Representing an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers.
- Representing an oil and gas company against a software consulting company in a breach of contract and fraud action regarding the implementation of ERP software.
- Obtained a dismissal with prejudice on section 101 grounds of a patent infringement action brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the Eastern District of Texas
- Obtained summary judgment of non-infringement for a Fortune 50 company in action brought by a non-practicing entity (NPE) in the Eastern District of Texas in connection with website technology, which was affirmed by the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Defended a Fortune 500 company in multiple patent infringement actions and inter partes reexaminations relating to vending machines in the district court and on appeal to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals. The Federal Circuit reversed a preliminary injunction entered by the trial court.
Presentations & Published Works
“The New Intellectual Property: Federal Trade Secrets Rights”
Presented to Raytheon in-house legal department, September 29, 2016
“Nearly Every Patent Begins as a Trade Secret”
Presented to Texas Lawyer In-House CLE Event in Dallas, May 19, 2016
Bilski’s Impact on In-House Counsel Varies by Client’s Technology
Texas Lawyer, August 2, 2010
Know How To Stay
Smart Business, February, 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association
Federal Circuit Bar Association
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Make-A-Wish North Texas
Board Member, 2017
Trademarking Racial Slurs, Swear Words and Swastikas; The disparaging restriction is out. Is the scandalous clause next?
Super Lawyers Magazine, September 29, 2017
Wii Remote Lawsuit Ends in $10M Verdict Against Nintendo
Rolling Stone, August 31, 2017
Munck Wilson Mandala Secures $10M Patent Infringement Verdict on Behalf of iLife Technologies
Markets Insider, August 31, 2017
Nintendo Loses Wii Remote Patent Lawsuit
GameRant, September 2, 2017
Trial Pros Q-and-A with Jamil Alibhai
Law360, April 5, 2016
Top Litigators Share Winning Strategies National
Law Journal, November 2, 2015
New patent infringement lawsuits in East Texas shatter records
Dallas Morning News, August 18, 2015
Litigator of the Week: TAOS ‘ Win in Trade Secrets Case Hinged on Detailed Timeline
Texas Lawyer, March 16, 2015
Plano-based TAOS wins $58.7 million judgment
Dallas Morning News, March 8, 2015
T-Mobile to AT&T’s Aio Wireless: Give me back my magenta!
Dallas Business Journal, February 11, 2014
Q&A with Munck Wilson’s Jamil Alibhai
Law360, June 21, 2013