Kathy L. Kottos is a principal attorney in the complex litigation/dispute resolution and fraud and abuse groups. She focuses her practice on prosecuting and defending a wide variety of disputes at the trial and appellate stages, including complex commercial disputes, health care litigation and regulation, insurance fraud litigation, health care liability claims, employment disputes, and administrative claims. Kathy is a seasoned practitioner with more than a decade of experience in handling complex matters in the healthcare fraud and abuse space. She has represented a broad range of clients in significant and sensitive matters, ranging from large Fortune 50 payers to healthcare organizations and individuals. Kathy understands how to quickly sift through complicated fact scenarios and navigate complex laws and regulations to help her clients achieve their business objectives.
Kathy received her J.D. from the UIC John Marshall Law School, receiving Order of the Coif distinction and serving as lead articles editor for the John Marshall Law Review. Prior to law school, she earned her B.A. in economics, graduating Cum Laude, from DePaul University.
- For her payer clients, Kathy has conducted dozens of complex investigations on behalf of health insurers, property and casualty insurers, and workers’ compensation carriers around the country to identify overutilization and potential healthcare fraud schemes. She has advised insurance carriers on jurisdiction-specific claim-handling, fraud deterrence and affirmative litigation strategies to recover losses. These matters have covered a wide breadth of disciplines, including chiropractic, physical therapy, electrodiagnostic testing, durable medical equipment, pharmaceuticals, and orthopedic surgery;
- Kathy is also an experienced litigator. She has successfully prosecuted multiple multi-million dollar civil fraud and RICO court based on submission of claims in violation of federal and state licensing, anti-kickback, and self-referral laws;
- Kathy also has extensive experience defending and counseling health systems, healthcare providers and other clients through fraud investigations and litigation brought by the government. She has defended healthcare providers, medical device manufacturers, and pharmaceutical companies in federal and state healthcare fraud investigations and litigation, including for alleged violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute and Stark Law, and under the Hatch-Waxman Act;
- She has also defended individuals and entities in criminal cases alleging violations of the federal mail, wire, and tax fraud statutes and has negotiated favorable resolutions with federal prosecutors;
- Kathy also advises healthcare providers and technology companies on novel and emerging areas of legal regulatory exposure in the area of health IT, such as information blocking and data privacy.
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Illinois
State Bar of Michigan