Kelly P. Chen
Kelly Chen is a partner in the complex litigation/dispute resolution group where she practices in the areas of commercial and intellectual property litigation. She represents clients in various industries, including semiconductors, telecommunications, and pharmaceuticals through all phases of litigation. Kelly was a member of the trial team that obtained an $88 million dollar verdict in 2015—the nation’s 16th largest jury verdict and 3rd largest in Texas—for patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, and tortious interference.
Kelly also devotes a significant amount of time to both bar association and community activities. She served as secretary for the Dallas Asian American Bar Association for several years as well as director and board liaison for the professional committee. In 2018, she was elected to the board of directors for Heart House. On the national level, Kelly is co-chair of the Programming Subcommittee for the Intellectual Property Committee of the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association.
In 2017, Kelly was honored as a Dallas Business Journal 40 Under 40 and was named a Best Lawyer Under 40 by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association. Among her other honors, Kelly is recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer by Thomson Reuters and a Lawyer on the Rise by Texas Lawyer magazine. Kelly is also a graduate of Leadership Dallas, a prestigious leadership development program sponsored by the Dallas Regional Chamber.
Kelly began her career as a CPA after graduating with honors with a BBA while simultaneously completing her MPA from the University of Texas, considered the top graduate accounting program in the country. She worked as a CPA for Deloitte, working 40-60 hours a week, while attending law school at Southern Methodist University, where she was a Dean’s scholarship recipient. Kelly is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and has taken the initiative to broaden the firm’s relationship with its China-based clients.
- Lead associate in a jury trial for Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. in a patent infringement and trade secret case in the Eastern District of Texas that resulted in an $88 million dollar verdict, ranked the 16th Largest Verdict 0f 2015 by The National Law Journal and VerdictSearch;
- Defended four companies in a patent infringement case involving eight patents covering spectral and optical sensors used in smartphones, in which the plaintiff was seeking over $140 million in alleged damages;
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in multiple patent infringement actions relating to vending machine technology;
- Representing an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers.
- Representing a large hospital in multi-district litigation against multiple plaintiffs’ claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation;
- Obtained summary judgment for the City of Dallas in employment discrimination and retaliation action;
- Successfully represented investors in oil and gas drilling company for breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Presentations & Published Works
Current Issues in IP Litigation, Northern District of Texas Bench Bar Conference, January 2019
Protecting Your Trade Secret Rights: The Defend Trade Secrets Act, In-house CLE presentation, March 2018
Convergence of Patent Litigation and PTO Practice: PTAB’s Impact on Patent Rights, NAPABA 26th Annual Convention, November 2014
Enforcing your patent portfolio: Tips to think about before enforcing your patents,
Inside Counsel, June 2014
International Legal Developments in Review: 2009, Customs Law,
The International Lawyer, Spring 2010
Overview of U.S. Transfer Pricing Issues and New Cost Sharing Regulations Issued by the IRS, The Practical Tax Lawyer, Summer 2009
“The Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008”
Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, November 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
Texas State Bar
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Asian-American Bar Association, Director: 2015-16, secretary: 2012-14
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee, Programming Subcommittee co-chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee co-chair, Women’s Leadership Committee
Heart House, Board of Directors: 2018
Women in IP
Northern District of Texas Court Advisory Committee
The Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court
Associate Member (2010-2011) and Barrister (2017-present)
The Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn Inn of Court
Associate Member (2013-2015) and Barrister (2017-present)
Additional Education & Achievements
Alumni Recruiter, Business Honors Program at The University of Texas at Austin
E-mentor, Dallas Independent School District
Certified Public Accountant
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese