Kelly P. Chen
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Trade Secrets, Restrictive Covenants and Unfair Competition
Kelly Chen is a partner in the complex litigation/dispute resolution group where she concentrates her practice in the areas of commercial and intellectual property litigation. She represents clients in a wide variety of technologies, including semiconductors, telecommunications, and pharmaceuticals.
In 2017, Kelly was honored as a Dallas Business Journal 40 Under 40 and was named a Best Lawyer Under 40 by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association. She is involved in a variety of civic and bar activities, including the Texas State Bar and the Dallas Asian-American Bar Association, and she serves as co-chair of NAPABA’s Intellectual Property Programming Subcommittee. Kelly is a graduate of Leadership Dallas, a prestigious leadership development program sponsored by the Dallas Regional Chamber.
Kelly’s legal accomplishments include serving as the lead associate on a trial team that obtained an $88 million dollar verdict – the nation’s 16th largest jury verdict and 3rd largest in Texas – for patent infringement, trade secret misappropriation, breach of contract, and tortious interference.
Kelly previously worked in the international tax department at Deloitte as well as overseas in the legal department of a large waste management company where she worked on international dispute resolution. Kelly’s credentials and training as a certified public accountant allow her to analyze and build beneficial resolutions regarding damages and expert opinions.
Prior to joining the firm, Kelly focused her practice in the areas of import/export compliance, international trade compliance, cross-border transactions and franchise and distribution law.
- Lead associate in a jury trial for Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. in a patent infringement and trade secret case in the Eastern District of Texas that resulted in an $88 million dollar verdict, ranked the 16th Largest Verdict 0f 2015 by The National Law Journal and VerdictSearch;
- Defended four companies in a patent infringement case involving eight patents covering spectral and optical sensors used in smartphones, in which the plaintiff was seeking over $140 million in alleged damages;
- Successfully represented a Fortune 500 company in multiple patent infringement actions relating to vending machine technology;
- Representing an international pharmaceutical company in patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers.
- Representing a large hospital in multi-district litigation against multiple plaintiffs’ claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation;
- Obtained summary judgment for the City of Dallas in employment discrimination and retaliation action;
- Successfully represented investors in oil and gas drilling company for breach of contract and unjust enrichment.
Presentations & Published Works
Enforcing your patent portfolio: Tips to think about before enforcing your patents,
Inside Counsel, June 2014
International Legal Developments in Review: 2009, Customs Law,
The International Lawyer, Spring 2010
Overview of U.S. Transfer Pricing Issues and New Cost Sharing Regulations Issued by the IRS, The Practical Tax Lawyer, Summer 2009
“The Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008”
Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, November 2008
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
Texas State Bar
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Asian-American Bar Association, Director: 2015-16, secretary: 2012-14
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association, Intellectual Property Committee, Programming Subcommittee co-chair, Diversity & Inclusion Committee co-chair, Women’s Leadership Committee
Heart House, Board of Directors: 2018
Women in IP
Northern District of Texas Court Advisory Committee
The Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court
Associate Member (2010-2011) and Barrister (2017-present)
The Honorable Barbara M.G. Lynn Inn of Court
Associate Member (2013-2015) and Barrister (2017-present)
Additional Education & Achievements
Alumni Recruiter, Business Honors Program at The University of Texas at Austin
E-mentor, Dallas Independent School District
Certified Public Accountant
Fluent in Mandarin Chinese