Shain Khoshbin is a partner at Munck Wilson Mandala in the complex litigation/dispute resolution group. Shain is an accomplished advocate who focuses – both inside and outside the courtroom – on overcoming tough obstacles and achieving successful results.
Outside the courtroom, Shain has summited Kilimanjaro (tallest freestanding mountain in the world), dived “The North Wall” in Grand Cayman (wall plunges in excess of 6000 feet past the reef), summited Shipton’s Arch (also known as the “Hole in Heaven”) located to the northwest of Kashgar in China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (said to be the world’s tallest natural arch), and competed in the “Racing the Planet” Gobi Desert March (a 250 kilometer self-supported march across the Gobi Desert — also called “The Race of No Return”).
Inside the courtroom, Shain is a fierce advocate for his clients. Steeped in complex business/commercial litigation for over two decades, Shain’s innovative representation of clients has led to substantial recoveries, successful defenses, and appeals before various Courts of Appeals — as well as the Texas Supreme Court — vindicating his clients’ rights.
Shain repeatedly has been selected as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in business litigation, as published by Thomson Reuters in Texas Monthly, and has had the distinction of being named one of the Top 100 attorneys practicing in Dallas/Fort Worth by “Super Lawyers” in his respective practice. He also has been recognized among the nation’s top litigators in the “Super Lawyers” Corporate Counsel Editions and the “Super Lawyers” Business Editions, published by Thomson Reuters. In addition, Mr. Khoshbin is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation. Membership in The Fellows is limited to one-third of one percent of lawyers licensed to practice in each jurisdiction. Mr. Khoshbin also was selected as a Lifetime Charter Member of Rue Ratings’ “Best Attorneys of America”, which is limited to 100 attorneys in each state, and is a Life Member of The Million Dollar Advocates Forum and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
Shain fights for his clients’ rights across the country – on both sides of the docket. He has experience with matters involving business torts, fraud, and breaches of trust, fiduciary duties, and complex contractual relationships; trade secret, trademark, unfair competition, and patent infringement battles; partnership, investment, shareholder and derivative disputes; securities fraud litigation; hospitality management/franchising altercations; business disparagement, defamation and tortious interference claims; receivership and bankruptcy; executive employment and non-competition matters; industrial product liability and construction lawsuits; multi-party insurance coverage/bad faith claims; catastrophic manufacturing facility losses; defense of an employee wage/hour federal class action; and defense of a Fortune 500 company in premises liability/negligent hiring lawsuit involving a triple homicide.
- Lead trial counsel defending company, partnership, and senior officers in securities fraud action brought by Ohio Division of Securities which, after five-day administrative hearing, resulted in hearing officer recommendation of complete defense victory.
- Lead counsel representing oil and gas companies at trial in Pecos, Texas, winning defense verdict in favor of clients on breach of contract claim asserted by publicly-held drilling services company seeking seven-figure damages award.
- Successfully represented Netherlands-based luxury resort owner in connection with lawsuit filed in Curacao by publicly-held hotel management company/franchisor seeking to enjoin owner’s termination and removal of management company and its brand from the resort on the Island of Curacao, resulting in denial by Curacao court of relief sought by management company/franchisor.
- Successfully represented a world leader in thermoelectric technology in case involving alleged termination of its supply contract, securing confidential settlement agreement less than seven months after filing federal court action and receiving defendant’s answer.
- Represented plaintiff at trial which resulted in eight-figure patent infringement verdict in case involving motion detection technology.
- Lead counsel representing national temporary housing company in state court false advertising/unfair competition lawsuit and tandem federal court “anti-cybersquatting” lawsuit against industry competitor, resulting in successful transfer of domain names to client and confidential monetary settlement within six months of replacing client’s former counsel in state court action and filing the federal action.
- Represented publicly-traded innovation company in complex litigation in Minnesota concerning claims against its former law firm for breach of fiduciary duties with respect to firm’s representation of the State of Minnesota in lawsuit against company alleging damage to the state’s natural resources (reported by the Star Tribune in 2014 to be “potentially the largest of its kind brought by the State of Minnesota”).
- Lead counsel defending clients against breach of fiduciary duty and trade secret misappropriation claims brought by international defense contractor, achieving dismissal of clients from lawsuit without any damages or other relief awarded against them after replacing the clients’ prior attorneys.
- Defended Fortune 500 company against multi-million dollar premises liability/negligent hiring lawsuit involving a triple homicide, resulting in complete defense victory on summary judgment just before trial.
- Represented hotel chain in California temporary injunction proceedings concerning company’s “flagship hotel” in Monterey, California, securing status quo regarding removal of management company from the hotel.
- Retained by Fortune 1000 corporate client as lead counsel to appeal dismissal of its seven-figure claim against owners and operators of the Warwick Hotel, and won reversal after presenting oral argument before the Houston Court of Appeals twice (once before and once after obtaining a remand from the Texas Supreme Court).
- Represented a leading metal recycling and smelting company in complex litigation against Chilean-based competitor involving claims and counterclaims seeking tens of millions of dollars for breach of contract and fiduciary duty, unfair competition, and trade secret misappropriation, involving discovery efforts across the globe.
- Lead counsel representing national marketing company in trademark infringement and business disparagement lawsuit against global producer and distributor of filmed entertainment. Achieved reversal of summary judgment against client after presenting oral argument in the Dallas Court of Appeals, and winning the subsequent appeal to the Texas Supreme Court by defendants. Then achieved reversal of second summary judgment against client after presenting oral argument in the Eastland Court of Appeals, and winning the subsequent appeal to the Texas Supreme Court by defendants. Achieved substantial confidential settlement for client soon after second victory in Texas Supreme Court.
- Represented claimant in FINRA arbitration in Los Angeles, California, wherein arbitration panel entered seven-figure award against respondent.
- Represented clients in New York state court asserting claims seeking millions of dollars in damages for breach of contract and tortious interference against various defendants located across the globe in connection with acquisition of international ultra-luxury hotel chain.
- Lead counsel representing Dallas-based company in complex litigation involving former President’s termination. After filing mandamus and presenting oral argument on behalf of the company, obtained order from Dallas Court of Appeals finding that trial court abused its discretion by not ordering former President to return company’s confidential documents and not disqualifying former President’s counsel. After presenting oral argument in the Texas Supreme Court regarding Court of Appeals’ order, the parties reached a confidential settlement favorable to client.
- Represented oil and gas company in AAA arbitration against drilling contractor seeking eight-figure damages award, and defended company and its affiliates in connection with lawsuit filed by contractor in the Cayman Islands seeking receivership and damages.
- Defended Fortune Global 500 electrical supplies distributor in federal court against unfair competition claims, achieving dismissal of plaintiff patent holder’s claims.
- Argued and won summary dismissal in federal court of plaintiffs’ negligent hiring and premises liability claims seeking millions of dollars against Fortune 1000 restaurant corporation client arising out of triple homicide, which was affirmed by Fifth Circuit.
- Lead counsel defending apparel manufacturing company in commercial litigation concerning breach of purchase/sale and distribution contract with vendor, achieving confidential settlement favorable to client soon after replacing the client’s prior attorneys.
- Lead counsel defending worldwide hotel chain and affiliates in commercial litigation involving telecommunications contracts for hotels in New York and Michigan, achieving confidential settlement favorable to clients.
- Lead counsel for nationally-known mobile home manufacturer in New York federal court in complex litigation involving national vendor/installation/service contract and catastrophic manufacturing facility loss causing over $17 million in damages, achieving substantial confidential settlement favorable to client.
- Lead counsel representing corporate policyholders in multi-party insurance coverage lawsuit regarding insurers’ denial of coverage/refusal to defend a series of lawsuits alleging trademark/trade dress infringement, resulting in confidential settlement favorable to clients.
- Defended commercial product manufacturer against federal trademark infringement and unfair competition claims, achieving confidential settlement favorable to client.
- Represented international hospital company in complex commercial litigation with lawsuits pending in two separate states involving its flagship medical center and associated medical school located in Omaha, Nebraska, achieving confidential settlement favorable to client.
Disclaimer: Past achievements are no guarantee of future results. Results depend on the facts of each case.
Presentations & Published Works
Selection and participation as the lead defense trial attorney in the ABA’s Historical Trial — Terror in San Francisco: The 1916 Preparedness Day Bombing Trial,
at the 2007 American Bar Association Annual Meeting in San Francisco, California;
Selection and participation as the lead defense trial attorney in the ABA’s Historical Trial — Murder at Madison Square Garden: The Trial of Harry Thaw for the Killing of Stanford White,
at the 2008 American Bar Association Annual Meeting in New York, New York;
Selection and participation as a “trial mentor” in the ABA’s Historical Trial — The Insanity Trial of Mrs. Abraham Lincoln,
at the 2009 American Bar Association Annual Meeting in Chicago, Illinois;
Presentation of Defending The Restaurant Murder Case,
at the 2009 Hospitality Law Conference in Houston, Texas;
Article Legal Ethics & Professionalism on the Agenda,
Dallas Bar Association Headnotes, Vol. 29, June 1, 2005;
2006 presentation of Intellectual Property & Insurance: The New Frontier,
at FM Global Corporate Headquarters in Johnston, Rhode Island;
Article Company Trash-Talk Websites & The Stored Communications Act: The Internet As The “Office Water Cooler” Of the 21st Century,
Hospitality Lawyer September 2009 In-House Counsel Newsletter and October 2009 Legal Newsletter;
Presentation of Negotiation 101: Preparing for Settlement,
at the 37th Annual Risk Industrial Management Society Conference in Dallas, Texas;
Article BUSINESS DIVORCES IN TEXAS: Recent Case On “Disguised Dividends,” Alleged “Squeeze Out,” Improper Buy-Out, And Shareholder Oppression,
ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Section, November 2010;
Article INFRINGING ON A SONG, PICTURE OR OTHER ARTWORK WITHOUT A REGISTERED COPYRIGHT: Another Circuit Follows The Fifth Circuit Approach To Allow Filing A Lawsuit Under The Copyright Act Without A Certificate Of Registration,
EIN Presswire, June 9, 2010;
December 2016 seminar on CIVIL CYBER CLAIMS: Computer Fraud And Abuse Act In Business Disputes,
at Interstate Batteries Headquarters in Dallas, Texas;
Presentation of Mold Subrogation – Making Sure Your Recovery Doesn’t Become Toxic,
at the 2003 Nationwide Insurance Summit in Canton, Ohio;
Article MINORITY SHAREHOLDER OPPRESSION IN TEXAS & MAJORITY SHAREHOLDER TAX RETURNS: When An Irresistible Force Meets An Immovable Object,
LinkedIn, October 2010;
Article Voluntarily Gutting Your Subrogation Claim,
NASP Subrogator Magazine, Winter 2003;
Article DISCLOSURE OF INTERNAL INVESTIGATIONS: Recent Federal Case Discussing “Selective Waiver” Of Work Product Privilege,
ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Section, December 2010;
Article Unilateral Contracts & Future Payment Promises To At-Will Employees: Vanegas v. American Energy Services Adds Clarity to “Illusory Contracts”,
Hospitality Lawyer March 2010 In House Counsel Newsletter and May 2010 Legal Newsletter;
Article Maximizing Subrogation Recoveries,
NASP Subrogator Magazine, Fall 2002;
Presentation and participation as panelist for 2008 Macalester College Legal Studies Program Roundtable Discussion, What I Wish I Had Known About Law School And Legal Careers,
in St. Paul, Minnesota;
Article Turning The Tables in Construction Defect Cases & The Mold Mayhem,
NASP Subrogator Magazine, Spring/Summer 2004;
June 2010 DCA Seminar on Premises Liability & Workplace Violence in Texas,
in Dallas, Texas;
Article OIL & ANTITRUST AKIN TO OIL & WATER? Fifth Circuit Refrains From Adjudicating Opec Price-Fixing Claims,
ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Section, February 2011;
Closing speech at the 2013 Future Leaders Program Showcase,
at St. Mark’s School of Texas in Dallas, Texas;
Participation as a Judge in the 2013 DBA High School Mock Trial Competition,
in Dallas, Texas;
Participation as a Judge in the 2014 and 2015 International Public Policy Forum Debate,
at New York University in New York, New York;
Article United States v. Novartis AG: A Good Primer On Adequate Allegations Of Qui Tam Fraud, The First-to-File Rule, And The Public Disclosure Bar,
ABA Commercial & Business Litigation Section, June 2015;
September 2015 seminar on The Art Of Advocacy: Top Ten Rules For Opening Statements & Closing Arguments,
for the Hillcrest High School Mock Trial Team in Dallas, Texas;
Article Mock Trials In Business Litigation: Choosing When and How To Do It Cost-Effectively,
Corporate Counsel, May 5, 2016;
Article Cybercrimes in Civil Litigation: Using the CFAA To Go “On the Offensive,” Corporate Counsel, March 22, 2017;
July 2017 seminar on Hotel Litigation, at La Quinta Corporate Headquarters in Irving, Texas;
June 2017 seminar on Top Ten Rules: The Art of Advocacy for Non-Profit Startup, for “Spark Tank Camp” in Dallas, Texas;
December 2017 seminar on Hotel Data & The Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, at Phoenix American Hospitality Corporate Headquarters in Dallas, Texas; and
Article Password-Sharing May Be a Federal Crime Under the Muddied Waters of the CFAA, Corporate Counsel, January 5, 2018.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
American Association for Justice
Federal Circuit Bar Association
Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
Texas Bar Association
Illinois Bar Association
Dallas Bar Association
Chicago Bar Association
Additional Education & Achievements
Shain is married to Terrie DePratt Khoshbin. They have two sons — Samuel Avery Khoshbin and Broderick Piers Khoshbin. Shain enjoys spending time and traveling with his family, scuba diving, skiing, music (plays guitar), grappling, and various types of physical and mental challenges. In that regard, Shain has summited Kilimanjaro (tallest freestanding mountain in the world), competed in the “Racing the Planet” Gobi Desert March (a 250 kilometer self-supported march across the Gobi Desert — also called “The Race of No Return”), dived “The North Wall” in Grand Cayman (wall plunges in excess of 6000 feet past the reef), and summited Shipton’s Arch (also known as the “Hole in Heaven”) located to the northwest of Kashgar in China’s Xinjiang Uyghur Autonomous Region (said to be the world’s tallest natural arch).