Stephen Y. Liu
Stephen Liu is a principal attorney in the technology/intellectual property law group. Stephen focuses his practice on patent preparation and prosecution, patent litigation, and intellectual property licensing.
Stephen prepares and prosecutes domestic and international patent applications in a variety of technical areas including electrical circuitry, semiconductor devices, telecommunication systems, software applications, computer architecture, building automation, control systems, medical devices, oilfield production and exploration equipment, and mechanical components.
In addition to his transactional practice, Stephen also represents clients in patent litigation matters covering a variety of technical areas and he works with start-up companies, counseling them on the identification, protection, development, and monetization of their intellectual property.
Stephen received his J.D. from Southern Methodist University’s Dedman School of Law. Prior to law school, he graduated from the University of Texas at Austin with a bachelor’s degree in chemical engineering and returned after completing law school to earn his bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the University of Texas at Dallas. Before joining Munck Wilson Mandala, Stephen prepared and prosecuted patent applications at a boutique intellectual property law firm in Dallas.
- Prepared and prosecuted patent applications in various industries including manufacturing, food processing, chemical technology, packaging, telecommunications, software, oil and gas, and medical devices;
- Drafted patent applications, office action responses, appeal briefs, and reply briefs relating primarily to computer hardware, software, electronics, and medical systems;
- Drafted patent applications, office action responses, appeal briefs, and reply briefs relating primarily to computer hardware and software, electronics, telecommunications, oil and gas technology, and mechanical systems;
- Managed nine benzene cases and assisted the management of approximately twenty others that were filed both in Texas State and Federal court, and in Pennsylvania, Ohio, Louisiana, and California;
- Performed case intake evaluations, drafted pleadings, and research memoranda, propounded discovery, communicated with expert witnesses, prepared and presented oral arguments in court, defended clients in deposition, and deposed corporated representatives and fact witnesses;
- Assisted the drafting of motions and briefs including a response to a Writ of Mandamus to the 9th Court of Appeals and the subsequent surreply to obtain underlying data for epidemiology studies;
- Represented clients in several practice areas including civil rights violations, deceptive trade practices, breaches of contract and warranty, and credit issues;
- Co-designer and co-programmer of an automated inventory tracking system implementing Oracle and SQL language, Visual Basic, and Crystal Reporting.
Presentations & Published Works
Perfecting Patent Portfolio management in the 21st century,
Inside Counsel Magazine, April 8, 2014
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Asian American Bar Association (DAABA)
American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)