Stuart D. Shapley
- IP Audits and Legal Opinions
- IP Due Diligence
- IP Portfolio Management and Counseling
- Trademark Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
Stuart (Stu) Shapley is senior counsel, practicing in the technology/intellectual property law group. He has extensive experience in preparing and prosecuting patent applications for a wide range of technologies, including networking technologies (e.g., servers, switches, etc.), storage and information management (e.g., enterprise information management systems, columnar databases, systems and methods for big data), and mechanical devices. Stu has prepared numerous opinions relating to patent validity and infringement, prepared and prosecuted numerous trademark applications and has provided advice and counsel to clients regarding patents, copyrights, trade secrets and related issues.
Prior to law school, Stu graduated cum laude from Harvard University with an A.B. in Physics. Stu is also a fluent German speaker.
- Lead associate representing electronics manufacturer in multi-party patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas in a patent dispute concerning Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) technology;
- Core member of team defending pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-party patent litigation, participated in drafting Markman brief that led to favorable claim construction and partial summary judgment at trial, as well as Federal Circuit appeal brief;
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for computer hardware and software, medical devices and mechanical systems;
- Prepared invalidity opinions and freedom to operate studies involving a variety of technologies, including laptop computers, casino equipment, and automotive engines.
Professional Associations & Memberships
Registered U.S. Patent Attorney
Austin Intellectual Property Association
The Honorable Lee Yeakel Intellectual Property Inn of Court