Stuart D. Shapley
- IP Audits and Legal Opinions
- IP Due Diligence
- IP Portfolio Management and Counseling
- Trademark Opposition and Cancellation Proceedings
Stuart (Stu) Shapley is senior counsel, practicing in the technology/intellectual property law group. With fifteen years’ experience in patent prosecution and litigation, Stu provides legal solutions across a broad spectrum of legal issues, technologies and client sizes, ranging from Fortune 100 companies to seed-round startups.
In addition to his legal practice, Stu works as a mentor with several Austin area accelerators to help early-stage companies protect their core intellectual property and obtain seed and angel round funding.
Stu is a graduate of Harvard University, earning an A.B. in Physics cum laude, and is a fluent German speaker.
- Lead associate representing electronics manufacturer in multi-party patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas in a patent dispute concerning Voice Over Internet Protocol (VOIP) technology;
- Core member of team defending pharmaceutical manufacturer in multi-party patent litigation, participated in drafting Markman brief that led to favorable claim construction and partial summary judgment at trial, as well as Federal Circuit appeal brief;
- Drafting and prosecuting patent applications for computer hardware and software, medical devices and mechanical systems;
- Prepared invalidity opinions and freedom to operate studies involving a variety of technologies, including laptop computers, casino equipment, and automotive engines.
Professional Associations & Memberships
Registered U.S. Patent Attorney
Austin Intellectual Property Association
The Honorable Lee Yeakel Intellectual Property Inn of Court