Virginia E. Milton
- Commercial Litigation
- Employment Litigation
- Labor and Employment
Virginia E. Milton is an associate practicing in the employment and labor law group. Virginia also supports the firm’s complex litigation/dispute resolution group in business and commercial litigation matters. Virginia regularly represents employers in business litigation involving breach of contract, non-competition and non-solicitation violations, and breach of confidentiality/theft of trade secrets. She has experience in written discovery, motion practice, oral argument in court, party and expert depositions, and jury trial.
Prior to joining Munck Wilson Mandala, Virginia practiced labor and employment law with a full-service, Texas-based law firm. Before entering law, Virginia worked in news media for NBC News and the Atlantic Media Company, publisher of The National Journal and The Atlantic. Hailing from the Washington D.C. area, Virginia also interned for The White House and Congress.
Virginia received her J.D. from the Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law and she holds a B.A. in politics with a minor in Spanish from the University of Virginia. In law school, Virginia was a board member of the International Law Review Association and editor-in-chief of The International Lawyer, the award-winning, quarterly legal journal of the American Bar Association’s International Law Section. Virginia was also a member of SMU Law’s National Moot Court team and she clerked for the United States Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of employer in Title VII sex discrimination lawsuit in the Western District of Texas.
- Successfully appealed wage claim determination before the Texas Workforce Commission on behalf of national transportation company.
- Investigated and drafted numerous employer responses to charges of employment discrimination and retaliation based on disability, race, national origin, age, religion, and sex before the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
- Successfully negotiated favorable non-suit agreement in judicial appeal of Texas Workforce Commission wage claim final determination.
- Contributed to trial victory for nightlife industry employer in hostile work environment action brought by a former employee.
- Advised employers on company policies and decisions related to employee Family and Medical Leave Act requests, disability accommodation requests, discipline, termination, and internal reporting procedures.
Presentations & Published Works
Co-author, “Protected Whistleblower or Ungrateful Whiner: What’s the Law, How to Manage?” Corporate Counsel Review, November 2013.
“Making the Rain: Cloud Seeding, the Imminent Freshwater Crisis, and International Law,” The International Lawyer, 2010.
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers
District of Columbia Bar
Phi Alpha Delta Legal Fraternity
Junior League of Dallas
University of Virginia Club of Dallas/Fort Worth, president and board member