Marina Bogorad is an accomplished attorney with extensive legal experience and a proven track record of success in a wide range of practice areas, including complex commercial litigation, entertainment litigation, and intellectual property matters.
With over twenty years of experience representing clients internationally and in state and federal courts throughout the United States, Marina is a skilled and tenacious litigator who consistently delivers favorable outcomes for her clients. She has been recently recognized as one of Billboard’s Top Music Lawyers of 2023.
Marina’s experience includes representing clients in high-stakes commercial litigation, including breach of contract disputes, fraud claims, and business torts. She also has significant experience in copyright infringement suits and securities litigation cases, including class action defense.
Marina is highly regarded by her peers and clients alike for her professionalism, expertise, and dedication to her clients’ success. She is bilingual (English and Russian).
- Two songwriters of the 2001 hit song “Playas Gon’ Play,” which Billboard named among its 100 Greatest Girl Group Songs of All Time, against Ms. Taylor Swift and Co. in a copyright infringement action resulting in a major appellate victory that Cosmopolitan termed “a seriously unexpected move” in Hall v. Swift, 782 F. App’x 639 (9th Cir. Oct. 28, 2019), wherein the Ninth Circuit reversed a dismissal on the pleadings, as well as defeating summary judgment on remand in Hall v. Swift, 2021 WL 6104160 (C.D. Cal. Dec. 9, 2021);
- MGA Entertainment, Inc., as a member of the briefing team, in the highly publicized multibillion-dollar “battle of the dolls” trial against the Barbie-doll manufacturer, Mattel, Inc., over the rights to the “Bratz” doll franchise, including summary judgment briefing and various trial briefing throughout the 13-week trial;
- KFC Corporation in Proposition 65 litigation, including prevailing on a dispositive motion at the pleadings stage for one of the actions, as well as briefing for summary judgment motion, supervising all aspects of electronic discovery and handling coordination and joint-strategy development with coalition of other fast-food chains (including McDonald’s, Wendy’s and others);
- Roman Abramovich, the former Governor of the Chukotka region in Russia and the former owner of the Chelsea FC soccer team, in a multibillion-dollar London-based litigation, Berezovsky vs. Abramovich, the largest private commercial dispute ever brought in an English court, wherein Ms. Bogorad acted as part of the team named Legal Business’ Litigation Team of the Year in February 2013;
- Leading role in representation of a major U.S. engineering firm in construction dispute with the Lebanese government in arbitration proceedings before the International Chamber of Commerce and the parallel U.S. litigation challenging arbitral jurisdiction; assisting in appellate briefing before the Second Circuit;
- Key player on the briefing team defending several major U.S. and foreign financial institutions in the WorldCom litigation, one of the largest securities litigations in U.S. history: effectuating JPML centralization of multiple state court actions filed in more than several dozen states under sparsely used bankruptcy code provision; handling most of law and motion practice, including countless motions to dismiss and oppositions to motions to remand; assisting in appellate briefing before the Second Circuit;
- Several appellate victories in a wide variety of commercial disputes, including an extensively cited anti-SLAPP decision in Abuemeira v. Stephens, 246 Cal. App. 4th 1291 (2016), as well as wining appeals for a foreign investor in a failed movie production in Harra v. Fontana, No. B284018, 2018 WL 5095139 (Cal. Ct. App. 2d Dist. Oct. 19, 2018), and a legal recruiter in his breach of contract action against Manatt Phelps in Gregg Ziskind & Assocs., Inc. v. Manatt, Phelps & Phillips, LLP, No. B287922, 2018 WL 4659718 (Cal. Ct. App. 2d Dist. Sept. 28, 2018).
University of California, Los Angeles,
School of Law
American Jurisprudence Award for Civil Procedure
American Jurisprudence Award for Real Property
University of California, Los Angeles,
B.A. Political Science & Russian Studies
Magna Cum Laude
UCLA Dean’s Honors List
Associations & Memberships
State Bar of California
Honors & Awards
Billboard Top Music Lawyer 2023
U.S. Supreme Court
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
U.S. District Court Central District of California
U.S. District Court Northern District of California
U.S. District Court Southern District of California