Chase is a senior associate in MWM’s intellectual property litigation group, where he focuses on excellence in written advocacy. Chase has briefed high-stakes issues at all phases of litigation, from pretrial dismissal to review before the U.S. Supreme Court. He has also argued hearings in state and federal courts, including a Markman, and participated in several bench and jury trials.
Chase understands the difference that clear and persuasive writing can make for clients and courts alike. For example, as a principal drafter of briefs before the Federal Circuit in Galderma Laboratories L.P. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA, Inc., No. 19-2396 (Fed. Cir. 2020), Chase helped obtain outright reversal of a judgment invalidating patents covering a breakthrough drug product–without oral argument. As a principal drafter of a brief before the U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board in NewZoom, LLC v. Crane Merchandising Systems, Inc., IPR2018-01441 (PTAB 2019), Chase helped persuade a panel of administrative patent judges to deny inter partes review of a patent covering automated retail technology–without trial.
A Certified Public Accountant with a master’s degree in financial accounting, Chase also understands clients’ financial interests and treats them as his own. To that end, Chase has managed post-trial briefing in state court that successfully reduced damages by more than $60 million among joint defendants accused of securities fraud. As lead counsel in a case defending homeowners from frivolous litigation brought by their HOA, Chase obtained dismissal and recovered the attorney fees incurred by his clients in the process.
Chase graduated with honors from SMU Dedman School of Law, where he served on the executive committee of the SMU Law Review Association and was elected editor in chief of the Journal of Air Law and Commerce. While in law school, Chase worked and wrote for judges in federal district court and state appellate court, and volunteered for Advocates for Community Transformation, an organization combatting drug houses in West Dallas.
Outside the office, Chase enjoys spending time with his wife, Rachel, son, Nolan, and daughter, Quinn, at their home in Lake Highlands.
- Represented international pharmaceutical company in patent litigation (ANDA) against generic competitors, resulting in successful appeal before the Federal Circuit;
- Represented optoelectronic company in patent and trade secret litigation, resulting in successful appeal before the Federal Circuit;
- Representing inertial sensor company in patent appeal before the Federal Circuit;
- Representing oil and gas company in securities litigation in state-court posttrial and appellate proceedings;
- Representing vending machine manufacturer in patent litigation against competitors;
- Represented financial services company in trademark infringement litigation, resulting in favorable settlement;
- Represented homeowners against HOA litigation resulting in dismissal with prejudice and recovery of attorney fees;
- Represented real estate company against personal injury claims resulting in dismissal with prejudice;
- Represented international wood truss manufacturer in trade secret and antitrust litigation, resulting in favorable settlement.
Presentations & Published Works
Guest Lecturer, “Effective Legal Writing for Associates,” Advanced Legal Writing Course, University of Texas School of Law (2018)
A Slip of the Tongue: How the Supreme Court Placed Airline Immunity in the Clouds,
80 J. Air L. & Com. 249 (2015)
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers