Chase A. Cobern
- Commercial Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Inter Partes Reviews
- Noncompetition and Trade Secrets
- Securities Litigation and Enforcement
Chase Cobern is an associate in MWM’s litigation group, where he specializes in briefing on high-stakes issues in federal and state courts at both the trial and appellate level. Chase has experience drafting substantive pleadings at all phases of litigation, from filing or challenging the original complaint to petitioning for review before the U.S. Supreme Court.
A Certified Public Accountant with a master’s degree in financial accounting, Chase combines technical proficiency with creative and careful advocacy to advance his clients’ interests in obtaining or defending against monetary relief. Among other things, Chase has collaborated on post-trial motions that successfully reduced damages by more than $60 million among joint defendants. As lead defense counsel in a pro bono case, Chase obtained attorney’s fees and dismissal of frivolous litigation filed against elderly homeowners.
Chase graduated with honors from SMU Dedman School of Law, where he served on the executive committee of the SMU Law Review Association and was elected editor in chief of the Journal of Air Law and Commerce. While in law school, Chase completed summer clerkships with judges in federal district court and state appellate court and volunteered for an organization combatting urban blight in West Dallas.
Outside the office, Chase enjoys spending time with his wife, Rachel, and son, Nolan, at their home in Lake Highlands.
- Representing optoelectronic company in patent and trade secret litigation in post-trail and appellate proceedings;
- Defending oil and gas company accused of securities fraud in post-trial and appellate proceedings;
- Representing international pharmaceutical company in patent litigation (ANDA) against generic competitors;
- Defending financial services company in trademark infringement litigation;
- Representing vending machine manufacturer in patent litigation against competitors;
- Defended homeowners against homeowners’ association resulting in dismissal with prejudice and recovery of attorney fees;
- Defended real estate company against personal injury claims resulting in dismissal with prejudice;
- Defended international wood truss manufacturer in trade secret and antitrust litigation resulting in favorable settlement.
Presentations & Published Works
A Slip of the Tongue: How the Supreme Court Placed Airline Immunity in the Clouds,
80 J. Air L. & Com. 249 (2015)
“Effective Legal Writing for Associates,” University of Texas School of Law – Advanced Legal Writing Course; Guest lecturer (2018)
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
Dallas Association of Young Lawyers