Mike is a trial lawyer with a passion for handling complex and technical cases. He has been repeatedly named a Texas Super Lawyer in commercial litigation, a Top Litigator, and a Best Lawyer in Dallas (D Magazine) and a Best Lawyer in America (Woodward White). Clients entrust Mike with their largest and most important cases, and he frequently represents clients as either a plaintiff and defendant where the amounts in dispute exceed $100 million. In the past few years, Mike has acted as trial counsel in two jury trials resulting in substantial 8-figure jury verdicts.
Mike frequently represents inventors, technology companies and other businesses in disputes involving in patent infringement, trade secret claims and other business torts in the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, Delaware and numerous other state and federal courts. Mike handles cases regarding a wide range of technologies and technical issues, including pharmaceuticals (Hatch Waxman litigation), consumer electronics, wireless communication devices/systems, semiconductors, software, commercial construction and design, manufacturing equipment and systems, and power and electrical distribution systems. In 2015, Mike was trial counsel for a technology company in a case alleging theft of trade secrets and patent infringement resulting in a judgment of $77 million, one of the largest jury verdicts in the nation in 2015.
In addition to commercial and IP litigation, Mike has more than 25 years of experience litigating and trying other commercial matters, including insurance matters, product liability cases, construction defect disputes, and business torts.
Mike has been a fixture in the insurance subrogation community for 25 years and has successfully handled large property damage and construction cases throughout the country, helping his clients recover over $100 million in subrogation recoveries.
In addition to Texas and the Southwest, Mike has represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the country, including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, New York, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
- Lead trial counsel in iLife Technologies Inc. v. Nintendo of America Inc.; secured a $10.1M patent infringement verdict in a case involving motion detection technology for Wii gaming systems;
- Defended patent and trade secret case in which plaintiff sought over $100 million;
- Trial counsel for the plaintiff in Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. v. Intersil Corporation, a case involving a breach of contract, patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, interference, and damages. Secured judgment for $77 million, one of the largest intellectual property verdicts in the United States in 2015;
- Represented domestic and international pharmaceutical companies in over a dozen patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers concerning branded drugs with annual sales exceeding $100 million;
- Represented major airline defending a software patent dispute resulting in dismissal of all claims against client without any payment;
- Represented corporate defendants in a case alleging theft of trade secrets relating to manufacturing of activated carbon and seeking over $100 million in damages;
- Represented patent owner in inter partes review of motion detection patent resulting in confirmation of patentability on all challenged claims;
- Represented a developer and insurer in construction defect dispute involving construction errors in development of retirement communities in New England causing millions of dollars in damages;
- Represented a national marketing company in a defamation and trademark infringement matter against Paramount Pictures, including two successful appeals to the Texas Supreme Court;
- Represented property owner and insurer in dispute involving millions of dollars in property damage to a high-rise condominium development in Houston, Texas;
- Represented a corporate policyholder in an insurance coverage dispute regarding insurers’ refusal to defend a series of lawsuits alleging trademark and trade dress infringement;
- Represented a patent owner in cases involving accelerometer-based motion detection technology in related cases in Texas, California, and Pennsylvania;
- Represented property owner and insurers in a construction defect case involving a roof system failure at a commercial facility causing over $30 million in damage;
- Represented a corporation in a suit against the court-appointed receiver for negligence, breach of fiduciary duties and the waste of receivership assets;
- Represented a property owner, national department store chain, and insurer in a $35 million dollar construction defect dispute arising from roof collapses at a regional shopping mall.
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
American Trial Lawyers Association