Michael C. Wilson
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Inter Partes Reviews
- Large Loss Property Subrogation
- Patent Infringement Litigation
Michael (Mike) C. Wilson is a name partner and a member of the executive committee. Mike is a trial lawyer with a passion for handling complex and technical cases. Mike is repeatedly named a Texas Super Lawyer in commercial litigation, a Top Litigator, and he has been listed as a Best Lawyer in Dallas (D Magazine) and a Best Lawyer in America (Woodward White). In the past few years, Mike has acted as trial counsel in two jury trials resulting in substantial 8-figure jury verdicts.
Mike frequently represents inventors, patent owners, corporate defendants and other clients in patent infringement, trade secret and other matters in the Northern and Eastern Districts of Texas, Delaware and numerous other state and federal courts. Mike handles cases regarding a wide range of technologies and technical issues, including pharmaceuticals (Hatch Waxman litigation), consumer electronics, wireless communication devices/systems, semiconductors, software, GPS technology, video and security systems, commercial property construction and design, manufacturing equipment and systems, power distribution systems, and consumer delivery systems. In 2015, Mike was trial counsel for a technology company in a case alleging theft of trade secrets and patent infringement resulting in a judgment of $77 million, one of the largest jury verdicts in the nation in 2015.
In addition to commercial and IP litigation, Mike has more than 25 years of experience litigating and trying other commercial matters, including insurance matters, product liability cases, construction defect disputes, and business torts.
Mike has been a fixture in the insurance subrogation community for over 20 years and has successfully handled large property damage and construction defect cases throughout the country. Mike has helped recover over $100 million for his clients and frequently speaks before industry groups on subrogation topics.
In addition to Texas and the Southwest, Mike has represented clients in federal and state courts throughout the country, including California, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, New York, Ohio, and Wisconsin.
- Lead trial counsel in iLife Technologies Inc. v. Nintendo of America Inc.; secured a $10.1M patent infringement verdict in a case involving motion detection technology for Wii gaming systems;
- Trial counsel for the plaintiff in Texas Advanced Optoelectronic Solutions, Inc. v. Intersil Corporation, a case involving a breach of contract, patent infringement, misappropriation of trade secrets, interference, and damages. Secured judgment for $77 million, one of the largest intellectual property verdicts in the United States in 2015;
- Represented numerous local and international pharmaceutical companies in patent infringement cases against generic drug manufacturers under the Hatch Waxman Act;
- Represented major airline defending a software patent dispute resulting in dismissal of all claims against client without any payment;
- Represented patent owner in inter partes review of motion detection patent resulting in confirmation of patentability on all challenged claims;
- Represented manufacturer in a patent infringement suit in the Eastern District of Texas involving machine design patent. Case resolved with acquisition of infringing defendant;
- Represented a developer and insurer in a construction defect dispute involving the development of retirement communities in New England;
- Represented a national marketing company in a defamation and trademark infringement matter against Paramount Pictures, including two successful appeals to the Texas Supreme Court;
- Represented a client in a dispute involving over $5 million in property damage to a high-rise condominium development in Houston, Texas;
- Represented a corporate policyholder in an insurance coverage dispute regarding insurers’ refusal to defend a series of lawsuits alleging trademark and trade dress infringement;
- Represented a patent owner in cases involving accelerometer-based motion detection technology in Texas, California, and Pennsylvania;
- Represented property owner and insurers in a construction defect case involving a roof system failure at a commercial facility causing over $20 million in damage;
- Represented a corporation in a suit against the court-appointed receiver for negligence, breach of fiduciary duties and the waste of receivership assets;
- Represented corporate defendants in a case alleging theft of trade secrets relating to manufacturing of activated carbon and seeking over $100 million in damages;
- Represented a property owner, national department store chain, and insurer in a $35 million dollar construction defect dispute arising from roof collapses at a regional shopping mall;
- Represented a vending machine manufacturer and patent owner in patent infringement lawsuit in the Eastern District of Texas. After successfully defeating motions for summary judgment relating to marking and related damages issues, case settled during trial.
Professional Associations & Memberships
State Bar of Texas
Dallas Bar Association
American Trial Lawyers Association